Once a household staple in the 1970s cottage cheese has long been forgotten. Often overshadowed by products such as sour cream and Greek yogurt this versatile and nutritious ingredient is making a comeback!
Cottage cheese has long been praised for its high protein and rich calcium content, making it the perfect choice for those looking to add more protein to their diets or seeking healthier snack options. As society is becoming more focused on healthy but easy snack options, it's no surprise that cottage cheese is once again gaining popularity.
Tiktok culture and the desire to experiment with unique ingredients has helped cottage cheese rise to fame again in a new way. Cottage cheese is replacing lower protein dairy options like sour cream in dips and being added to classic recipes like pancakes for higher protein content. At home chefs are finding endless ways to enjoy this humble dairy product.
Our Current Favorite Cottage Cheese Recipes
Gluten Free Cottage Cheese Pancakes
From The Worktop
Start your day with these light and fluffy cottage cheese pancakes, which pack a protein punch.
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter or oil, for greasing the pan
- Add all your ingredients in a blender and blend until mixed thoroughly and smooth. Oats should be pureed.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease with butter or oil.
- Drop 1/4 cup portions of the batter onto the skillet and cook until the edges are set and bubbles appear on the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite pancake toppings, such as fresh fruit, maple syrup, or a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs
From A Couple Cooks
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together until well-beaten. Add cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium heat and add eggs. When the eggs start to set mix around with a flat spatula until they break apart.
- Remove from heat, add to plate and garnish.
5-Minute Healthy Cottage Cheese Dip
From Walder Wellness
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh chives
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
- Serve in a decorative bowl surrounded by mixed veggies or crackers.
Let us know if you try any of the recipes or come up with your own! Tag us on social media @lechicmiami